It’s Random Acts of Kindness Day – a day to make the world a little brighter and better through little kind gestures, words and actions. As humans today we have a tendency to forget to take a moment to appreciate what’s around us and celebrate the small, simple things that bring us joy in the day to day – so today is a welcome reminder to switch up the norm.
Why are random acts of kindness important?
Kindness promotes empathy and compassion which in turn, leads us to feel more connected with others. When we perform random acts of kindness, it releases positivity. We naturally feel better when we do something kind for someone and in turn the recipients of our acts feel better, which then makes them more likely to be kind to other people and can carry on to more and more people. Not only this, they also serve as great reminders that there can be beauty in the smaller, less materialistic things in life and push us to work with what we have within ourselves and around us.
7 Random Acts of Kindness
- Plant a tree - Trees help clean the air we breathe, filter the water we drink, and provide habitat to over 80% of the world's biodiversity. They also greatly benefit the people living around them by having a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing. There are few downsides to planting a tree – think of it as your random act of kindness to the earth today, and to whoever may come across it in the future, a two in one!
- Pay for the food/drink/ticket of someone around you – If you can afford to, paying for someone else’s meal, drink, train ticket or anything else is a great thing to do. This really is a completely selfless act that allows you to provide joy with nothing in return but the happiness it may bring to them.
- Reply to a social media post – Instead of scrolling without taking too much in or interacting with what you see, comment on something that made an impact on you or a photo of a friend where you like their outfit.
- Buy someone a gift – Treat someone in your life to a gift. Even better if it’s a gift that’s kind to our Earth. Our Everyday Essentials Starter Collection is only £15 so perfect for those little treats, but allows the recipient to pay it forward to our planet.
- Put a birdfeeder out in your garden or balcony – Birds in areas with bird feeders tend to be in better health than birds in places without feeders, so the act of just feeding birds makes a world of difference for the future of wild birds. Talk about kindness!
- Do a beach clean – Doing a beach clean is a great way to care for the environment around you. They also allow us to show the impacts of items we’re throwing away and make conscious decisions on how we use them going forward – helping us to be kinder going forward.
- Leave a flower on someone’s car at their door – Not only are they a great way to show someone you were thinking of them, flowers are natural triggers of dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin – all the chemicals that are responsible for making our brains happy. So, the simple act of giving someone a flower can contribute to a happier day for them, especially if it’s a surprise.
Make someone’s day today
If none of the above work for you, then we’re offering you a way to make someone’s day today. Head to our Instagram @oceansaverdrops, tag someone in the comments who makes you proud, happy or is just doing a really good job at something no matter how big or small. Let us know what it is that made you want to tag them, or just take a minute to make them feel good. When you leave a comment, you’ll be in with a chance of winning one of our Everyday Essentials Refill Collections. Think of it as a random act of kindness right back 😉